Continuing to breastfeed while working can be a very rewarding and satisfying experience. However, balancing family and work may require some planning.
There is legislation in place that requires employers to make it possible for women to continue breastfeeding once they return to work. When you and your baby are together, you can breastfeed as much as you like. Breastfeeding your baby when you arrive home is a great way to reconnect.
Why support breastfeeding in the workplace?
Supporting breastfeeding in the workplace makes it more likely that mothers will return to work. It provides better work relations, presents a positive workplace image and reduces staff absenteeism.
The following strategies can be used to support an employee's successful return to work while breastfeeding:
- Flexible work practices including hours, work assignments and breaks.
- A clean, private room for expressing and/or breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding information available.
To make it easier to breastfeed and return to work, a mother can:
- Choose a caregiver who shares the same beliefs about breastfeeding.
- Talk to other women who have combined work and breastfeeding.
- Continue to eat healthy foods and drink to satisfy your thirst.
Learn more about breastfeeding.