Your home environment can have an influence over your health and safety. Here are a few pointers for creating a home environment that is safe and decreases the chance that you will trip and fall or injure yourself in your home:
- De-clutter your home so that doorways, hallways and stairs are not blocked by items.
- Place no-skid tape on stairs or slippery surfaces.
- Tape down any area rugs so that they are secure and will not slide.
- Wear well fitting, flat shoes and avoid wearing stockings without shoes since they can be slippery.
- Use night lights or place a flashlight on your bed stand for night time trips to the bathroom.
- Place frequently used items in easy-to-reach places.
- Install grab bars in your bathroom to assist you in getting in and out of the bathtub or on and off of the toilet.
- Use a secure foot stool when reaching for items or have a friend, family or neighbour grab the item for you.
To learn more, visit the Health Canada website and search 'Senior Healthy Living'.
Learn more about: