Follow these tips to avoid ticks:
- Wear light coloured clothing so ticks are easier to spot.
- Keep covered with long pants and a long-sleeved shirt.
- Wear closed footwear, socks, and tuck your pants into your socks.
- Use a tick repellant that has "DEET" (follow the manufacturer's directions).
- Put a tick and flea collar on your pets, and check them for ticks periodically.
- Search your body well for ticks after being in grass or bushy areas. Pay special attention to groin, scalp, and armpits. Use a mirror to check your back.
On your property:
- Mow the lawn regularly.
- Remove leaf litter, brush and weeds.
- Keep tree branches and shrubs trimmed to let in more sunlight.
- Move children's swing sets and sandboxes away from the wooded or bushy edges of a play area. Consider placing swing sets and sandboxes on a woodchip or mulch foundation.
- Ticks often attach themselves to rodents, deer and birds. Keep rodents away by sealing stone walls and small openings around the yard. Use plants that do not attract deer or consider fencing to keep deer out of the yard. If you have a bird feeder keep it away from the house.