Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Disinfecting your Home

It is important to properly clean and disinfect the surfaces in our homes. Germs, also called "microorganisms" can make us sick. They live on many surfaces and can contaminate food, utensils and other objects that we use to prepare and eat our food with.
 
Cleanliness in the kitchen begins BEFORE you start to prepare food. Everything that comes into contact with your hands or food must be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. This includes dishes, cutlery, utensils, pots and pans, counter tops, cutting boards as well as kitchen cloths, faucets, can opener blades, and refrigerator handles. Harmful bacteria that are not visible may thrive and multiply in food that is prepared by unclean hands in an unclean kitchen so, before preparing food, get off to a clean start. 
 
How to properly clean and disinfect surfaces: 
Proper cleaning is the first step to disinfect a surface. Cleaning removes food particles, juices, dirt, debris and stains from surfaces by using a solution of detergent, hot water and a clean cloth. Cleaning does not kill the germs but will remove a high percentage of them. To clean properly and effectively, you must remove all visible matter from the surface by using a detergent and scrubbing the surface.
 
Once all visible matter has been removed, the next step is to disinfect the surface. Disinfection is defined as the inactivation (or killing) of the microorganisms on the surface.
 
You have two options for disinfectant solutions.
  1. Buy pre-made commercial disinfects that state that they will kill 99.9% of microorganisms. These are sold at most stores.
  2. Make your own disinfectant solution using a chlorine bleach. Prior to handling a chlorine bleach ensure you protect your skin and eyes (rubber gloves and safety glasses). Simply mix 50 parts water to 1 part 5% chlorine bleach. This mixture is considered an intermediate level disinfect and will properly disinfect most surfaces. Please note never mix a chlorine and ammonia product as it will produce a gas that can be hazardous to your health.
Spray the disinfectant solution on the surface and let it sit for approximately 10 minutes so it can kill off all the germs.
 
Then wipe the solution off the surface using a clean cloth.