Getting active is great for your health and will make you feel good. There is some risk to physical activity, especially if you have been inactive for a while or are trying a new activity. Check out the following tips to stay injury free while getting active:
- Start out slowly - if you have been inactive for some time or you are trying out a new activity start out slowly to avoid injury. Try 10 minutes at a time and then slowly adding on time.
- Talk to your doctor - if you are pregnant or living with a chronic disease or health condition you should talk to your doctor first before your start any new activities or increase your current level of activity.
- Get the gear - make sure that you are using properly fitted protective gear and equipment such as helmets, knee pads, reflective clothing, mouth guard, etc.
- Know your limits - while it is okay to challenge yourself and your body never push yourself beyond your limits. When exhausted you are more likely to injure yourself during physical activity.
- Think of safety - get active with a friend, make sure someone else knows where you plan to go and when you will be back and avoid being alone at night when running, jogging or walking.
- Food and drink - drink water before, during and after you are active. Eat healthy food before and after you are physically active to give your body the energy it needs to move.
Learn more about: