Hundreds of health apps (applications) are available for smartphones and tablets to help people track, monitor and learn more about things like food or calorie intake, calories burned, exercises, recipes, steps taken, and time spent being active.
What to look for in an app
Apps designed to promote physical activity and healthy eating should:
- Allow you to input your own goals or targets.
- Monitor behaviours (i.e., built-in GPS/pedometer to record physical activity).
- Provide motivational prompts or reminders.
- Never be used in place of advice from health care professionals.
Things to consider when choosing an app
Apps can be convenient and helpful tools, but they may not always provide the most accurate health information to users. Read more about choosing the best possible mobile apps to suit your needs.
Here’s a list of suggestions to help start your search for healthy eating and physical activity apps. Search and find these apps by using the bolded titles below:
- EaTipster, created by Dietitians of Canada, addresses common food and nutrition questions and concerns and provides daily tips to increase healthy eating, support a healthy weight.
- Dietitians serve up a trusted new tip each and every day.
|My Fitness Pal
MyFitness Pal is designed to help you track food and fitness goals.
You can input or edit your goals, enter your caloric intake (food) and output (exercise) on the go. There's also a progress screen that lets you track your weight to visually see how you're doing as you work toward your goals.
- This app makes it easier for you to get the ‘nutrition facts’ on foods you eat. You can look up common foods and see the nutrients they contain.
- < 30 days helps you inventory your health and rank the risk factors and motivations that are important to you. Then it guides you to break bad habits and adopt a healthier lifestyle in 30 days or less.
- This fast and simple tracker allows you to track nutrition and exercise. It also includes over 600 exercise demonstrations, daily meal plans customized for your goals and reports to show your progress over time. This app is not free.
Learn more about: