Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Mould

​Mould are fungi that grow in damp conditions.  There are over 10,000 documented species of mould, and airborne mould spores are present
both inside and outside. 
 
Indoor mould can grow on or in anything. It needs a damp condition to grow, and are commonly found in basements, kitchens or
bathrooms.

Outdoor moulds can be found in shady, damp areas.
 
Are moulds a health hazard?
Mould is both an allergen and an irritant. Infection is possible, but is only a risk for people with severely compromised immune systems. Some moulds produce toxins (poisons), but ordinarily a person will only experience a serious reaction when exposed to a high dose of mould.
 
Individuals who are sensitive to mould may experience acute allergic reactions such as asthma, rhinitis (hay fever), conjunctivitis (red eyes), dermatitis (rash). 
 
Chronic or severe exposure to mould can produce the following symptoms: eye, skin, nose, and throat irritation; headaches; poor concentration; fatigue.

Tips to protect your family:

  • Ventilate attics and crawl spaces to prevent moisture build up.
  • Repair all plumbing and roof leaks promptly.
  • Keep the humidity level in the house below 40%.
  • Use an air conditioner or dehumidifier during humid months. Be sure to empty daily.
  • Use kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans.
  • Do not carpet bathrooms and basements.

Treating surface mould
If mould has been identified, its important to get rid of it. It can be cleaned off surfaces using chlorine bleach as follows:

  • Always ventilate your work area when using bleach.
    If necessary, use a fan to increase the air flow.
  • Soak the stain in chlorine bleach, full strength, for 15
    minutes
  • After soaking, carefully wash down the area with a bleach cleanser (mix 1 part chlorine bleach with 4 parts water and a few drops of non-ammonia dishwashing detergent).

When working on mould patches, always protect yourself with an appropriate face mask. For small localized areas, use an inexpensive disposable face mask. For larger areas, use a full-face respirator with an approved, disposable HEPA filter which you can buy at a safety supply store. 

Learn more about: