Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
 

 Content Editor ‭[2]‬

 
​​

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, deadly gas. It is produced by burning most fuels including wood, charcoal, diesel or gasoline. Carbon monoxide poisoning usually results from the use of fuel-burning equipment in unventilated or enclosed areas.

Examples of fuel burning equipment include:
  • Home furnace
  • Space heater
  • Decorative fireplace
  • Wood stove
  • Kitchen stove or grill
  • Gas/charcoal barbeque
  • Hot water heater
  • Automobile
  • Lawnmower
 
How is it dangerous?
Carbon monoxide is breathed in through your lungs and gets into your blood stream where it binds to your hemoglobin. This binding displaces your much needed oxygen causing your body to suffocate internally.
 
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Drowsiness
  • Mental confusion
  • Palpitations
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of coordination
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Fatigue or weakness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Rosy skin colour
  • Convulsions
These symptoms may vary depending on the amount of exposure.
 
If you’ve been exposed to carbon monoxide, GET FRESH AIR IMMEDIATELY! Get to an uncontaminated area and call for emergency assistance. Do not re-enter the exposed area until local officials say it is safe to do so.
 
Keep your family safe:
Help detect carbon monoxide gas in your home by using carbon monoxide detectors. It is mandatory that buildings or homes that contain at least one fuel‐burning device (e.g., gas water heater or gas
furnace), fireplace or an attached garage, have a carbon monoxide alarm installed. Click here for more information.
 
Learn more about: