What are bed bugs?
Bed bugs are small insects that feed on blood while people are sleeping. Bed bugs and bed bug infestations are not a health hazard as they do not transmit disease. However, people dealing with bed bugs can suffer from stress and anxiety. It can also be very costly. Some bed bug bites, like any insect bite, can become infected if scratched and can also cause an allergic reaction.
What do bed bugs look like?
Before a bed bugs feeds, it has a flat, brown, oval shaped body. After feeding the bed bug will be bloated, and the colour will change to a rusty tone. Bed Bugs do not have wings and cannot fly, but are able to crawl rapidly over floors, walls, ceilings, upholstery and other surfaces.
Bed bugs can be seen with the human eye as they are normally 5.5mm long, about the size of a small apple seed, but can grow up to 10mm in length after feeding.
What to do if you think you have found a bed bug
- Kill the bug and seal it in a container.
- Bring the bug in to the Northwestern Health Unit for identification. Please do not bring live insects in.
- If the bug is a bed bug a health unit staff member can advise you of next steps, and can answer any of your bed bug questions.
- Do not spray the bed bugs with a pesticide you can buy over the counter, because this tends to scatter the bed bugs to other areas of the building. For more information on pesticides:
- Consult with a certified pest control company for advice.
Nobody wants bed bugs, but anybody can get them!
Bed bugs are a nuisance because once you have them, they are very hard to get rid of. They can be found everywhere in the world and travel from place to place on clothing and personal belongings such as luggage, knapsacks, computer bags and purses.
There is no reason to feel ashamed or embarrassed if you have bed bugs. The important thing to know is that bed bugs will not go away on their own. Take steps to eliminate bed bugs as soon as possible before the infestation gets out of control.
What pest control companies serve our area?
There are 3 Pest Control Companies that service our area.