Taking care of your mental health during COVID-19
Adjusting to this new way of life during the COVID-19 pandemic can be a stressful and difficult time for many of us including children, seniors, and people in the workplace. It is normal to feel anxious, lonely and unsure as we try to keep each other healthy by staying home whenever possible and by follow the guidelines of physical distancing.
But there are ways to stay calm and balanced! Below are just a few:
- Set and follow a daily routine
- Practice grounding activities when feeling overwhelmed
- Make an activity jar with a variety of enjoyable activities
- Move your body every day
- Tidy up your space
- Schedule regular virtual check-ins with loved ones
- Limit your screen time
- Don’t let all of your conversations centre around the pandemic
- Make time to take care of yourself
- View this time as an opportunity to do something new you’ve wanted to try
- Maintain good personal hygiene
- Look for the positive news stories
Click here for the full resource from Canadian Mental Health Association. If you’re still feeling anxious and looking for more resources about coping with COVID-19, visit Anxiety Canada. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) also has plenty of good information about topics related to mental health and COVID-19, such as coping with stress and anxiety, dealing with isolation, and stigma and prejudice.
Take care of your mental health by reaching out for more support when you need it. There are a lot of great resources and organizations that can help! Check out Resources for Ontarians Experiencing Mental Health and Addictions Issues during the Pandemic for more information as well as Wellness Together Canada: Mental Health and Substance Use Support.
If you are in crisis, please call 911 or a crisis support hotline:
- Crisis Services Canada: 1-833-456-4566
- Mental Health Helpline Ontario: 1-866-531-2600
- First Nations, Metis and Inuit Hope for Wellness Line: 855-242-3310
- Kenora / Rainy River Crisis Line: 1-866-888-8988
More mental health supports and resources