Food safety training is encouraged for anyone working with food. As of July 1, 2018, food premises that are serving food to the public are required to have at least one person certified on the premise at all times.
Who should take the food safety course?
- Catering services
- Community and volunteer programs
- Daycares and nurseries
- Institutional kitchens such as hospitals and long term care homes
- Special occasion vendors
- Foodborne illness
- Food safety legislation
- Receiving and storage
- Cleaning and sanitizing
- Pest control
Certification search and reprint:
- Certificates will be issued to those who pass the test (with a minimum of 70%).
- Certificates are valid for 5 years from issue and are accepted across Ontario.
- The NWHU can re-issue lost certificates for a $10.00 fee.
- Cost of search may be put towards the payment of a course/exam if search was unsuccessful or certification was expired.
The Northwestern Health Unit offers three options for safe food handlers training:
1. In-class option
To register for the in-class option please fill out the Safe Food Handler Exam Registration Form and submit to your local health unit office
- Cost: $75 dollars
- Includes food safety course materials and a light snack and exam
- Full-day course
- Accommodates different learning styles
Unless otherwise specified, classes begin at 9am
*In-Class (Discounted Rate) $50.00
- Registered charity
- Express financial need
2. Independent book study
- Cost: $50 dollars
- Includes course materials and exam.
- To register for the independent book study please fill out the Safe Food Handler Exam Registration Form and submit to your local health unit office
3. Independent online study
- Cost: $55.51
- Complete the 'In Good Hands' online study course ($30.51 plus HST)
- When you have completed the course, fill out the Safe Food Handler Course and/or Registration Form and submit to your local health unit office to schedule your written exam ($25.00 fee)
Call your local health unit office for additional registration information. If you have a special testing consideration, or a disability, please inform the course administrator when you register.