Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

NWHU Safe Food Handler Course

Food safety training is encouraged for anyone working with food, especially if you are working or volunteering in a food premise and providing food to the public. This course acts to increase food safety knowledge and improve food safety skills.

Who should take the food safety course?
  • Restaurants
  • Catering services
  • Community and volunteer programs
  • Daycares and nurseries
  • Cafeterias
  • Concessions
  • Institutional kitchens such as hospitals and long term care homes
  • Special occasion vendors
Topics include:
  • Foodborne illness
  • Food safety legislation
  • Receiving and storage
  • Cleaning and sanitizing
  • Pest control
Certificates will be issued to those who pass the test (with a minimum of 70%). Certificates are valid for 5 years from issue and are accepted across Ontario.
The Northwestern Health Unit offers three options for safe food handlers training: 
1. In-class option
  • Cost: $75 dollars
  • Includes food safety course materials and a light snack (please advise course administrator of any food allergies)
  • Full-day course
  • Accommodates different learning styles 
  • To register for the in-class option please fill out the Safe Food Handler Exam Registration Form and submit to your local health unit office

Click here to find out when and where these courses
are being held.

2. Independent book study
3. Independent online study
  • Cost:  $53.25
  • Complete the 'In Good Hands' online study course ($28.25)
  • When you have completed the course, fill out the Safe Food Handler Course and/or Registration Form and submit to your local health unit office to schedule your written exam ($25.00 fee)
Call your local health unit office for additional registration information. If you have a special testing consideration, or a disability, please inform the course administrator when you register.
Recognized commercial food handler training courses can be found by visiting the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care website