Explore more! This summer get out from behind the screens and spend time outdoors with friends and family. Try out a local trail on foot or by bike, head out for a paddle on a nearby waterway, or check out an active event in your community. Have fun and stay safe by following this helpful tips:
- Stay afloat. Wear a properly fitting lifejacket during activities like fishing, boating, or paddling. Children should wear a lifejacket when on a dock or around water.
- Be sun safe. SLIP into lightweight, light-coloured and long-sleeved clothing that covers as much skin as possible; SLAP on a hat and sunglasses; SLOP on a broad-spectrum sunscreen and lip balm of SPF 30 or higher; and, SEEK shade. Use extra caution to prevent heat-related illness in periods of extreme heat.
- Pack a snack. Fill a cooler with an ice pack, healthy snacks and water to enjoy along the way. Choose water and healthy foods; they are the best choice for your teeth and body and will give you the energy you need to be active.
- Don’t get ticked. When outdoors, prevent bug bites by wearing light coloured, long-sleeved clothing and pants; using a bug repellent with ‘DEET’ (follow the directions on label); and, checking yourself, your family and pets for ticks.
- Plan ahead. Visit the health unit website to see which beaches are open and safe for swimming.
- Drink responsibly. If you choose to drink, follow Canada’s Low-Risk Drinking to minimize your risk of health harms.
Encourage your family and friends to join you as your explore. Have fun, stay healthy and build active memories that will last a lifetime! One thing, many rewards - Do One Thing.