This privacy statement explains how the health unit manages the personal information we collect and your rights to access or correct that information.
The Northwestern Health Unit is committed to respecting your privacy and protecting your personal information.
Collection of personal health information
We collect personal health information about you from you or from the person acting for you. The information that we collect can include:
- Date of birth.
- Health history.
- Records of your visits to the Health Unit.
- Care that you received during your visits.
Sometimes we collect health information about you from other places if you have agreed that we can, or if it is legal to do so.
How we use and disclose your personal health information
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- Treat and care for you.
- Plan, deliver and manage our services.
- Compile statistics (names are not disclosed).
- Share information with your other health care providers.
- Meet legal requirements.
You have the right to:
- See and correct your personal health records.
- Tell us you want to withdraw your consent for some of the ways we use your information.
We protect your information
- We make sure your information is not lost, stolen or used by someone that should not have access.
- We also make sure it is kept private and is stored and/or disposed of in a secure way.
- We ensure that everyone that performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your health information in the way you have agreed it can be used.
How to contact us
For more information about our privacy practices, or to access or correct any personal information about you held by the Northwestern Health Unit, contact our Freedom of Information (FOI) Coordinator Marilyn Herbacz, Acting Chief Executive Officer.
You can reach him:
By phone: (807) 468-3147 or 1-800-830-5978.
Northwestern Health Unit
210 First Street, North
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario if you are concerned with how we have handled your Personal Health Information. The Commissioner can be reached at:
The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
Telephone: 416-326-3333 or 1-800-387-0073